Robyn's Nest Home Page
Home Page

What To Do If Poisoned?

first aid for poisoning

divider

Robyn's Nest Related Topics
National Listing of Poison Control Centers
Lead Poisoning in Children
Why NOT induce vomiting with Ipecac?
Childproofing Your Home
Grandparents Prevent Poisoning
Giving Medicine to Young Children



Prevent Poisoning- First Aid for Poisoning

REMAIN CALM

Do these things before you call someone:
Remove poisons from contact with eyes, skin, or mouth.

Eyes:

   -   Gently rinse eyes with plenty of lukewarm water for at least 15- 20 minutes with the eyelids held open.
   -   Do not allow the patient to rub the affected eye(s).
ruler

Skin:

   -   Remove contaminated clothing.
   -   Wash the poison off the skin with large volumes of water.
ruler

Mouth:

  - 
Remove all tablets, powder, plants, etc., from the patient's mouth. Examine for any burns, cuts, irritation, or unusual coloring.
  - Wipe out mouth with washcloth
  - If household products, give a few sips of water.
ruler

IF EXPOSED TO GASES OR FUMES:

   -   Get patient to fresh air.
   -   Loosen clothing.
   -   If not breathing, clear the throat and start mouth-to-mouth resusitation. Continue until help arrives.
ruler

CALL Universal Poison Control
1-800-222-1222

Call 911
if victim us unconscious or having seizures.

DON'T HESITATE TO CALL

Even if you are unsure a poison was taken. Provide the Poison Control Center with the following information:

   -   Identify yourself and the patient. Give the patient's age and weight.
   -   Give your phone number so you can be reached if your call is accidentally disconnected.
   -   Have the poison container available and read the label. Estimate the amount taken.
ruler

REMAIN CALM

There is always time to act. You will be instructed what to do next.

If the Poison Control Center thinks a hospital visit is needed, they will dispatch emergency services for you.

ruler

IF INSTRUCTED TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL:

   -   Take the poison and its container, plant, etc., to the hospital.
   -   Do not attempt any additional first aid unless your doctor or the Poison Control Center has instructed you to do so.

REMEMBER:

   -   Keep calm if a poisoning has occurred.
   -   Do not delay in seeking advice.
ruler

TO AVOID POISONING:

   -   Keep all drugs and dangerous household chemicals locked up.
   -   Never place a dangerous chemical in a beverage container.
   -   Do not rely on resistant caps. Children can open them.
   -   Do not store drugs in purses or drawers or in the medicine cabinet.
   -   Never call medicine "candy."

poisoning medicinesImportant Information About Syrup of Ipecac

Updated 10/2/10 *Why NOT induce vomiting with Ipecac?*

Syrup of ipecac is a drug that was used in the past to make children vomit after they had swallowed a poison. Although this may seem to make sense, this is not a good poison treatment. You should not make a child vomit in any way, including giving him syrup of ipecac, making him gag or giving him saltwater. If you have syrup of ipecac in your home, flush it down the toilet and throw away the container.

According to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)

"The ingestion of a potentially poisonous substance by a young child is a common event, with the American Association of Poison Control Centers reporting approximately 1.2 million such events in the United States in 2001. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) has long concerned itself with this issue and has made poison prevention an integral component of its injury prevention initiatives. A key AAP recommendation has been to keep a 1-oz bottle of syrup of ipecac in the home to be used only on the advice of a physician or poison control center. Recently, there has been interest regarding activated charcoal in the home as a poison treatment strategy. After reviewing the evidence, the AAP believes that ipecac should no longer be used routinely as a home treatment strategy, that existing ipecac in the home should be disposed of safely, and that it is premature to recommend the administration of activated charcoal in the home. The first action for a caregiver of a child who may have ingested a toxic substance is to consult with the local poison control center. "



Robyn's Nest Related Topics
National Listing of Poison Control Centers
Lead Poisoning in Children
Why NOT induce vomiting with Ipecac?
Childproofing Your Home
Grandparents Prevent Poisoning
Giving Medicine to Young Children


divider

Robyn's Nest Quick Link

You can also do a Keyword Search

divider

Robyn's Nest
email

  


About parents babies Advertise mom baby Jobs pregnancy Legal child birth Privacy toddlersIn the News/Awards

© 1996-2010 by NYBOR, LLC All rights reserved.
All material on this Internet site is protected by U.S. and international copyrights. Only personal use of such material is permitted. By accessing this page and this site, you expressly agree and consent to the foregoing terms and conditions.

 

First Aid for Poisoning


 


Bookmark and Share